Saturday, May 12, 2012

LOUIS VUITTON/marc jacobs


Ok, so one of my favorite things while in Paris this last time was the Louis Vuitton/Marc Jacobs exhibit at Les Arts Decoratifs.  OMG!  There are no words.  I wanted to share this earlier, but unfortunately, no photography was allowed in the exhibit.  So I ordered the book...and had to wait a couple of weeks for it to get here.  

The exhibit started out quiet as you walked through rooms of early Vuitton.  The first floor was filled with the early trunks and wonderful couture dresses.  Once you have finished walking around on the first floor, you find yourself climbing a flight of stairs that leads to floor 2...and you cannot prepare for what is on floor 2.  

I don't want to give anything away, but just know that the exhibit is amazing and if you are going to be in Paris before September then it is an absolute must!  The second floor is devoted to Louis Vuitton post Jacobs.  I thought it was a brilliant display because it was so loud and busy.  They had music blaring, videos playing and recordings of interviews in the background...I didn't know what to concentrate on.  But then realized that the constant commotion was the beauty of the exhibit.  I would imagine that someone as brilliant as Marc Jacobs is continually inundated with inspiration.  I would think that he is always feeding off day-to-day life, pop culture, art...and it seems as if you were that tapped into your surroundings, the constant flow of ideas to your brain would be a bit chaotic.  And while, the exhibit seemed a bit chaotic at times, it was what I would consider to be a beautiful chaos.  And Marc Jacobs proves it all the time...that there is beauty in chaos. 

Buy your copy of the book here.